Senking: Capsize Recovery (CD, Raster-Noton, September 2013)

It is well known that a good Jeff Mills set is like being on a giant space ship made out of techno. Well, a good Senking record is like being on a giant submarine made out of dubstep (and possibly filled with insects). The awesome buzzing, the gorgeously precise, skittering beats, the sonar pings... pretty much everything I said about his last album, 2010's Pong, applies here. I do miss the spooky vocals of tracks like Breathing Trouble, but then I love a lot of the subtle melodic flourishes in the plinky plonky high-end here. Like the best submarines, this is superbly engineered and great fun to ride in.

I bought this from Boomkat. They call it Electronic (and they pre-emptively plagiarized my submarine simile, too).

Comments