Masayoshi Fujita & Jan Jelinek: Bird, Lake, Objects (CD, Faitiche, March 2010)

The most obvious thing going on here is the layering of found sounds, presumably the work of Jelinek. It's densely textured, a very accomplished piece of production. Over that we get Fujita's chiming vibraphone: at some times playing tinkling (improvised?) melodies, at other times just chiming away in the distance. I found it very evocative: at one point I was lying at the bottom of a pit, with my eyes shut, inside a huge echoey cave, and there was a beach outside, a couple of kids playing, and boats on the beach with their shrouds clanking against their masts... Nice, eh? It ends with a superb climax of buzzing. I was first drawn to this record because I think that Bird, Lake, Objects is a fantastic title. A silly reason, perhaps, but I'm very glad for it.

I bought this from Boomkat. They call it Jazz / Related.

Comments